Bumpy Start to Season

The Lady Spartans played their season opener and the Troy leadoff tournament. They lost their home opener to Winfield 13-1. In the first inning they gave up 7 runs. In the Troy leadoff tournament, the girls took down Highland and St. Joseph Academy, ending up 2-5 in the tournament.

“We lost to teams that we should have beat for sure like Bowling Green,but we did face a top ten team in Missouri,” said sophomore Kristen Kolchmeyer.

In the Troy tournament, the Spartans played Hickman, Palmyra, Highland, Bowling Green and St. Joseph. The team didn’t fare so well against the first two opponents falling by double digits in both games.

“The tournament was definitely a challenge for us facing good teams from across the area,” said Coach Brian Cissell.

The team however didn’t let those games linger too much in their minds coming back the next day and picking up two wins in three games, beating Highland 4-3 and St. Joseph 7-6, with April Hennen picking up the game winning home run in the 7th inning.

“Getting the game winning home run was really nice, it was nice to help the team win another game in the tourney,” said Hennen.

This week the girls will face Westminster, Timberland, Fort Zumwalt South, and Francis Howell High.