High spirits promote success for girls cross country

Although the first cross country meet was cancelled because of rain, the girls team has been practicing six days a week to prepare for their next meet. The team continues to encourage each other as intense practices have been focused on speed in order for the girls to improve their times.

The next meet will be the largest of the season at Forest Park on Sat. with over 170 schools. The meet begins at 10 a.m. and the varsity girls will run at 11:15 a.m. Expectations for the meet are high because the course is more flat than normal according to junior Madison Grumich.

“We expect to have good times because it is a flatter course,” Grumich said. “This will be good for the first real meet of the season.”

The team is very close this year which helps make it through the tough practices, according to junior Grumich.

“Throughout the season we are helping each other get good times and we encourage each other when the workouts get rough,” Grumich said.

Team bonding is an important time for the girls cross country team, as they had a night at one of the girls’ houses to relax and have fun. The team also has team dinners every Thursday that help boost morale.

“The season is looking bright so far because we have good team spirit and a lot of our runners are new this year,” Grumich said.