Improvements can always be made

During the past week of the season, the Lady Spartans dropped two of its three games, the third being rained out after two innings of play. The first of the two games lost was to last year’s state champions, Troy Buchanan.

Troy is the top-ranked team in the state of Missouri and poses a tough challenge every game for the girls. Sophomore pitcher Kristen Kolkmeyer was the only one on the team to get a hit in the game, as the Spartans dropped the game 8-0 in six innings.

The second game of the week was against Fort Zumwalt North. This was a hard fought game for both teams and ended up going into extra innings.

The game ended in the ninth inning with Fort Zumwalt North on top 4-1, with sophomore Rebecca Stocker hitting in sophomore Hailey Allen, for the Spartans only run scored in the game, and Kolkmeyer pitching all nine innings having one ERA.

Last Friday’s’ game was looking to be another win for the spartans when storms rolled in during the third inning. The Spartans had taken a 4-0 lead against rivals Francis Howell North with Allen, junior Taylor Huskey, senior April Hennen, senior Molly Moran, and junior Aimee Saffo having hits in the first two innings of the game and the game getting rained out in the third inning.

This week, the girls look to pick up wins against Fort Zumwalt West, Timberland, rivals Francis Howell High, as well as in the Francis Howell Central tournament.