Boys cross country doesn’t meet expectations

The boys cross country team competed at Forest Park this past Saturday, and according to Junior P.J Brown, they finished below their expectations.

“Most of the guys on our team believed that they had performed well during the race, and we were very surprised to find out how low our times were,” Brown said. “None of us really met our goals.”

Brown, who placed 156th out of 278 racers on Saturday, said the Forest Park meet is usually the team’s fastest meet, but that this year, the goals that were set might have been too high.

“We all wanted to get new personal best times, but by too much,” Brown said. “Some runners wanted to cut their times down by an entire minute, and we thought we could because Forest Park was such a fast meet for us last year.”

Brown added that the team got ahead of themselves, and the results showed not all goals are easily attainable when set too high. He also felt that he let the coaches down at the meet, but that there’s always room for improvement.

“It’s a good lesson, I guess,” Brown said. The cross country team’s next meet is Friday, Sept. 21 at Hazelwood West.

For a list of the results from the Forest Park meet, visit http://www.bigriverrunning.com/FPXC_12_VBG_OA.htm