Up for a challenge

The Lady Spartans have recently passed the halfway point in their season. The Spartans are 7-10, and are continuing to improve their season with games to come. The spartans held a tournament over the weekend at St.Charles Community College.

The first of three games that the girls played was against St.Charles High School. The spartans played a solid game as a team with 5 of the 9 girls going 2-3 or better during the game, picking up the win 12-2.

The semi final game for the spartans was played against Washington High School. The spartans fought hard against the huskies and made Washington have to earn their win.

The semi final game ended with a 6-5 loss to washington of Central five Washington six. The spartans runs were scored by their one through five hitters in junior Taylor Huskey, sophomore Hailey Allen, senior April Hennen, and sophomore Rebecca Stocker. With the loss the girls would play Francis Howell North in the consolation game for third place.

“We played really well this weekend and the fact that Washington lost in the 12th inning for the championship game and we lost to them in the 7th inning shows that we have come a long way from the beginning of the year.” says coach Brian Cissell.

When the girls faced their rival North tensions were high. Not only for the teams but for the schools being their first full game against each other this year. Sophomore Kristen Kolkmeyer took the mound for the second time that day and led the spartans to a five to four win. Kolkmeyer had support from the strong hitting core in Allen, Huskey, and Stocker driving in three of the five runs for the spartans.

This week the girls look to keep the winning momentum going with games against Troy Buchanan, Francis Howell North, Fort Zumwalt West, and Lafayette High School.