Girls cross country plans to improve after hardest meet

At Sioux Passage on Saturday, the girls cross country team’s times fluctuated from normal times. The team had three freshmen, Emma Duckworth, Elizabeth Beecher and Kristy Eslinger that made it into the top seven runners for the girls.

The team as a whole earned eight medals, with the girls earning four. Duckworth, Beecher, and Eslinger got medals for the JV team and sophomore Brittney Kennedy received a varsity medal.

Full of hills, the Sioux Passage course was very challenging for the runners, according to Coach Michelle Breuer.

“We had some good times and some not so good times,” Coach Breuer said. “I was pretty pleased overall because Sioux Passage is a tough course.”

The girls have a meet on Friday at Koch Park at 4 p.m. and Coach Breuer expects the team to do very well because this course is very flat compared to the last meet.

“I’m excited for this meet because it will be very rewarding. The girls will run fast, run well and then go to homecoming and have fun,” Coach Breuer said. “This is usually a good meet because it is always the week of homecoming. It will be a good week for us.”

As the season continues, the top seven girls will continue to change based on faster times. Duckworth, currently in the top seven, will run JV for the next meet but plans to continue to improve throughout the season, to eventually run varsity.

“After Sioux Passage, I realized that you definitely have to run pretty hard and do your best or you will lose it pretty quickly,” Duckworth said.