Season winding down

With three games left in the regular season ,and the Lady Spartans are already eight games better than they were last year with a record of 9-11. The Spartans picked up two big wins last week that gave the girls more confidence to continue their winning streak into this week.

The first win last week came from the defeat of rival Francis Howell North. With sophomore pitcher Kristen Kolkmeyer pitching seven innings and having five strikeouts. The team got run support from sophomores Becca Stocker, and Hailey Allen both picking up two RBIs, giving the spartans a 7-5 win over the Knights.

The second victory came on senior night against Fort Zumwalt West. This game was what some might call a nail biter with the winning run being driven in during the bottom of the seventh inning.

Senior Molly Moran came through with three runs and going three-four. Junior Amiee Saffo also went three-for-four, and Allen scored the game winning double in the bottom of the seventh to give the spartans a 9-8 victory over the jaguars.

The recent victories earned the Lady Spartans the third seed in districts, with the likes of Francis Howell High, and Marquette ahead of them.

“I think that if we play to the best of our abilities as a team, then we should be able to compete, and hopefully the team will gain a boost off of our high ranking,” said Stocker.

“I think we did a whole lot better than last year, we had harder practices and more motivation to go out on the field and play hard.” said sophomore Satiah Duval.

With districts next week, the Lady Spartans look to get three more wins in before the tournament when they face Silex, Warrenton, and Fort Zumwalt East — who is also their opponents in the first round of the district tournament.