Boys cross country struggles continue

The boys cross country team competed Saturday at Living Word Park, and they placed 19th out of 21 schools overall. Junior P.J. Brown, who placed 83d out of 147 racers, was pretty disappointed with their performance, but he believes many factors contributed to the team’s poor performance.

“I think we had many health issues as this meet approached. We had another runner miss a race with bronchitis, and others were getting colds and not feeling well. I think once we get healthy again we’ll be back on track for conference,” Brown said.

This is the second meet in a row that the cross country team has struggled in, and this time, the results were worse.

“This was a much bigger meet with more teams, so I don’t really think you can compare them. But I’m extremely confident that we can turn it around,” Brown said.

Junior Corey Blase wasn’t too thrilled either about the team’s recent struggles.

“I was frustrated,” Blase said. “I really don’t know what’s going on right now,” he added. Blase also has plenty of confidence in his team, however, he knows there is plenty of more work to be done.

Brown mentioned the fact that during the week, they worked on 1000m repeats and tried to be faster than their personal best times in a 5k and they ran pretty well at practice, according to Brown. October 11 is the date of their next meet, and Brown is confident that they will go back to their winning ways before the conference meet.