Girls end year with almost 500 record

With the season ending for the Spartan softball team, they have shown the school that they are a force to reckon with. The team ended with a record of 13-15, and made it through the first round in the district tournament.

They played their final regular season game against Fort Zumwalt East and picked up a 14-3 victory over the Lions. Sophomores Hailey Allen and Becca Stocker gave the Spartans run support with Allen providing three runs and Stocker adding four RBI’s. With the early win against their opponent in the first round of districts it gave the girls momentum to go and beat them again.

With the first district game being played on the last day of school before fall break, the team was ready to get out on the field and put on a show for their home crowd. Sophomore Kristen Kolkmeyer took to the mound and threw seven innings and gave up two earned runs. She got some help though from her team with sophomores Satiah Duval, and Stocker giving the team two of the four runs. The team picked up a 4-2 victory over the Lions and advanced to face Marquette in the second round of the tournament.

“We improved a lot facing tough teams and we will only continue to improve against them,” Allen said.

The next day the girls took to the field again to try and pick up another win on the year and advance to the finals. Once again, Kolkmeyer was the pitcher and gave the Mustangs a run for their money. Kolkmeyer pitched a complete game and only allowed one run. Junior Aimee Saffo went 2-3, and Duval also went 2-3 in the tough 0-1 loss to Marquette.

“At the beginning of the year it was working on mechanics but further in the girls started to believe in their play, next year will be more of the same with a lot of talent moving up from the junior varsity team.” said Coach Brian Cissell.

With most of the team returning next year and JV players coming up, the team looks to give Central another great season and try to improve to a winning record.