Serving Our Community

Student Council works every day serving our school and the surrounding community.

Anabel Gundersen, Lizy Lopez, and Ms. Faye all help supervise an activities station at this year’s Special Olympics with STUCO.

Student Council has been a key part of the culture of FHC since its founding. “STUCO” as many know it by, is a student organization that focuses on working with teachers and the school as a whole to plan events and boost school spirit. 

With events such as the blood drive and running the Special Olympics alongside Howell, it is easy to see just how STUCO can affect the community it serves. Each year the number of students eager to join grows and grows. It’s not hard to see why, it is one of the best ways to get involved at Central. Jack Patton, senior class vice president says,

Student Council helps students become leaders. The officers and chairs must meet and plan what needs to be accomplished and follow through. It helps develop organizational, communication, time management and leadership skills.

— Mrs. Stacy Dennigman

“I think everybody joins together in STUCO. I think it’s great and you should join. And I think it really gets people closer to each other and gets people more involved in school,” Patton said

The Student Council is responsible for many events that go unnoticed throughout the year. Alongside several other sport’s organizations at FHC, STUCO members have been donating their time by helping clean after school due to the district’s custodial shortages.

“We’re doing custodial stuff after school to clean because we’re short staffed. So that’s pretty neat. It’s actually pretty fun to help out at the school like that,” Patton said.

The impact of STUCO is seen everywhere. With school spirit for the Homecoming Dance, to donating 62 bags of blood for the blood drive, Student Council is extremely important. Mrs. Stacy Dennigman, who has been the head of Student Council for the last seven years, lists exactly what STUCO does.

“Student Council: Plans homecoming-spirit week, parade, dance/decoration and court, pep club signs and, door decorating- hosts the Blood Drive, runs 2 Food Drives, works with Special Olympics, Pre-Covid [STUCO] always hosted a holiday/Christmas party for adults 18 and older with special needs, they do teacher/staff appreciation every month, and many times Mr. Harris will ask our organization to help him at the last minute and we will,” Mrs. Denningman said. 

A girl participates in a Student Council game. (Isabella Totra)

Mrs. Dennigman loves seeing her students grow in Student Council throughout the years. Her favorite part of leading this group is seeing how they gain new skills.

“Student Council helps students become leaders. The officers and chairs must meet and plan what needs to be accomplished and follow through. It helps develop organizational, communication, time management and leadership skills,” Mrs. Denningman said.

If anyone is interested in joining Student Council it is never too late, just stop by room 111 or 150 and talk to Mrs. Dennigman or Mrs. Fay. STUCO is always looking for more members and it is an excellent opportunity to help the community and grow as a person.