Softball upsets Parkway Central in districts

While everyone was at home enjoying their nice fall break, the girls softball team was facing the giants as it headed into districts holding the last seed in districts.

The team’s first game was against Parkway Central, which had the second seed in the district. This team also had a 13-game winning streak, until they faced the Spartans. The softball team ended up claiming a 5-4 victory over Parkway Central.

The Spartans went on to the semifinals to have a match against Fort Zumwalt East, the third seed in the district. Fort Zumwalt East ended up winning and soon went on to win districts.

“We were not supposed to beat Parkway Central. It was considered to be the upset of the districts,” said Coach Brenda Ellison.

As the girls prepared for their first district game they were determined to win. Coach Ellison described them as “fired up.” Even though they were down two seniors, Elizabeth Leath and Allison Schreyer, to the fall break trip to Costa Rica, this did not hamper them. They chose to stick together as a team.

Out of all the players, Coach Ellison said senior Tiffany Martin really stepped up at the plate with her five out of six hits. These at bats included triples doubles and singles. She was able to drive in two runs in the first inning with a hard hit ball over the third baseman’s head.

Many of the senior players made all-district team including Kayla Walters, Paige Boehmer and Allison Berk. Leath and Martin made the all-district team and all-conference team. Kara Heaton also received the GAC Confernece Sportsmanship Award. The softball team took home many titles with eighty percent of players making All-Academic Conference.

“Any athlete that goes through rigorous season and still do well in academics shows [me] how much character they have,” said Coach Ellison.

As the season has come to an end Coach Ellison is very pleased with the girls hard work and most of the girls were able to learn. They will be loosing seven seniors and “a lot of bats.” Leath is the top in the area for home run hitting.

Coach Ellison said about the season, “A lot of ups and downs people placed in different positions. It was tough. [I] give them credit every bit.”