Quiz bowl preps for districts

While scholar quiz bowl continues to build their skills and improve as a team, their buzzer system has become outdated in its 11 years of play.

“The last time we received a new buzzer system was when the building opened,” said Sponsor Sharon King.

The club, however, is now being gifted a new system and just in time for the Missouri S&T spring tournament on March 19.

“The competition has schools from all over the area, even from across the state. There was even a school from Kansas City there last year,” said Mrs. King.

In order to prepare for these competitions, quiz bowl schedules regular practices to develop their in-game technique.

“We pull our practice questions from a website called NAQT.com (National Academic Quiz Tournament),” said Mrs. King. “We either divide the three teams in half or just focus on junior varsity. It’s very much like an actual competition.”

However, quiz bowl involves much more than just practicing the questions; the team has to study the questions and the the “basics.” Comm. Arts, math, science, fine arts as well as miscellaneous are all possible subjects for the team to be questioned on.

“We usually bring our packet of questions with us on the way to competitions. That way we can study on the bus,” said Mrs. King.

Districts are approaching quickly and the team is more than ready for what it will throw at them come April.