Spartans prepare for Homecoming game

The Spartan’s win then lose pattern seems to be continuing with their last game ending in a win for the Spartans against the Timberland Wolves. The score ended 34-21, and it was a game the team felt prepared for, according to senior wide receiver and defensive back Jayden Lumpa.

“We actually passed the ball, and it worked,” Lumpa said. “Three of out five touchdowns were pass plays.”

Even though the team just won its most recent game, their minds are somewhere else. They are focusing on the homecoming game.

“We are going to treat it like any other game,” Lumpa said. “It’s a big game, not only because it’s homecoming, but because it’s a conference game, and we are 3-0 in conference.”

Last years homecoming game was the first win for the Spartans in six years. The team played Timberland in that homecoming game, but this year its opponent is much more threatening than a wolf: they play the Fort Zumwalt West Jaguars.

“We have a one in a million chance of winning,” junior Kayla Schmidt said. “[West] went to the semis last year. They are a really good team, and our football team isn’t that good.”

Although the student body is pessimistic about the Homecoming game, the team is not letting it get to them.

“They definitely have a bunch of players who are miss matched to us, but we can’t go into the game scarred and thinking we are going to lose,” Lumpa said. “We just need to not listen to the people putting us down.