DECA predicts successful end of year

While competing at the DECA district competition, seniors Josh Burns and Mollie Lager along with several other students, earned first place in their categories. These achievements have allowed students to qualify for the state competition over spring break at the Lake of the Ozarks.

The students participated in test taking, role plays, mock interviews and presentations based on certain scenarios in front of judges to earn points for their school.

According to senior Hannah Greco, the team did better than expected at the competition.

“It was a nice surprise that we did better than we thought we would,” Greco said.

Although the team was more impressive than expected, Greco still thinks that there are areas in which the DECA team can improve.

“I think we could get better at our test taking skills and being personable in front of the judges,” Greco said.

If DECA makes these improvements, they will be likely to succeed in the state and international competitions, according to Greco.

“A lot of people placed in districts,” Greco said. “They will do well at state. I think we have a lot of international qualifiers this year.”