Spartans get first W

After four close losses to open the season, the Spartans finally began to get into their stride Friday night.

Against Francis Howell North, the team pitched a shutout, while scoring 34 points of their own.

“We performed great Friday. The defense was perfect and the offense executed in the red zone. We didn’t have any turnovers,” senior defensive end and team captain Jeff Desir said.

The team started off strong with an early touchdown on the ground by junior running back DeBois Hill. That started a landslide of offense, as the Spartans put up four more touchdowns. The game was in hand by the fourth quarter, allowing the Spartans to play various J.V. team members that do not normally see the field. According to Desir, winning this game was of utmost importance to the team.

“This game helped turn around the season. This momentum, should carry through all the games because we know we can win now,” he said. With three conference games in a row, the team turned it on at the right time. “These conference games coming up are the most important games of the season,” Desir said. Positive efforts from replacements might help the team in the ever so important upcoming games.

Desir was particularly impressed with the performance given by a first-time linebacker.

“I was impressed with Devonte Mitchell. He was flying around, making hits, going at 300 percent. It was a good effort.”

Mitchell started at varsity outside linebacker for the first time in his high school career due to injuries to starters. With his performance last week, it appears he has a spot at that position for the next game Friday night at Timberland as well.

Following next Friday’s bout at Timberland is a game at Fort Zumwalt West. The conference clashes conclude Oct. 12 against bitter rival Francis Howell, before the team wraps up its season with a non-conference game at Jackson.