Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity

First Total Eclipse visible from Missouri in more than 100 years.

Olivia Fong

Students will be given NASA-approved solar eclipse glasses on Monday. These glasses are essential eye protection.

Unless you live under a rock, you know about the total solar eclipse that will be happening on Monday. The eclipse has stirred up a lot of excitement and anticipation, because even though eclipses happen a couple of times per year, the location at which you can actually see the eclipse can be anywhere in the world. This is the first time since 1869 that one has been visible from Missouri. All over the state there are many different events being organized in preparation for the eclipse.

Associate Principal Luke Lammers made a document that provided an outline of the scheduled activities. The day will go by as they normally do: students will go to hours 1-5 like they would typically. Students who wish to eat outside during 4C or 5B lunch will be provided with surplus eclipse glasses.

Then students will go to their sixth hour class. In sixth hour, teachers will show a presentation about the eclipse, which will talk about what the eclipse is and why the moon is able to cover the sun. Then each student will receive a pair of eclipse glasses. Students must wear these glasses, for without them they run the risk of attaining serious eye injury. Then over the intercom classes will be released to go to the stadium.

While classes go to their designated spot in the stadium, science teacher Kim Maxwell will be talking on the microphone about what is happening during the eclipse. The eclipse should reach totality at about 1:16 pm, and will only last about two minutes or so. Classes will then go back to into the building with their sixth hour, and on to seventh hour. Should it rain or be cloudy, classes will watch a livestream of the eclipse from NASA.

Many have planned their own different activities and events for the eclipse, many who are taking the day off and travelling in-state to get the perfect view of the eclipse. Senior Elizabeth Skelly has a special trip planned with her friends and family.

On the day before the eclipse, I’m riding with my Girl Scout troop and my family to St. Clair to a saddle club. We’re camping that night and watching the eclipse the next day, where the totality should be about two minutes,” Skelly said.

For Skelly, the eclipse is a big deal for her and has been something she has been waiting a long time for.

“We’re going down because in sixth grade, my Girl Scout troop went to a STEM camp where they told us that our senior year there would be an eclipse in August. Since then, my troop has been planning to see the eclipse together,” Skelly said.