Light the Field returns

After not going through last year, Student Council is bringing Light the Field back and better than ever.

Student+council+hangs+posters+in+hallways+around+school+advertising+Light+the+Field.+Student+Council+has+held+this+event+for+two+years.+

Student council hangs posters in hallways around school advertising Light the Field. Student Council has held this event for two years.

Light the Field is among one of the many activities Student Council has planned, and is happening tomorrow. Sadly cancelled last year due to heavy rain, Light the Field is the main upcoming event for students. Light the Field will be the high-“light” of the upcoming home game against Timberland.

At the event, all but one of the stadium lights will turn off, and students/parents in the stands will make their way down to the field with previously purchased glow sticks and lanterns (all proceeds raised from t-shirt sales go to cervical cancer as well).

This year, StuCo is dedicating Light the Field to one of their fellow members, senior Aleuria Alderson and her mother, who recently passed from cervical cancer. She is very thankful and excited for the event to go through.

“I think it’s a great feeling [to see the event happening]; there was the pink out game for me last season,” Alderson said. “It’s really neat, because all the money is being donated to that exact cancer.”

Alderson also stated, “I feel like it shows respect for people not only who have died, but people who were affected by it too.”

Sophomore Mackenzie Jones is supportive of the decision to bring awareness to Aleuria hardships,

“She’s just a super nice person,  she’s like, really involved, and she’s close to a lot of people,” Jones said. “She makes a big impact on the school, so I figured we can make a big impact on her.”

Along with Jones, senior Cameron Zalmanoff is compassionate toward Alderson and her family.

“We felt like it’d be a nice gesture — a sign of respect. Nobody can imagine what she had to go through — we felt like it’d be a nice, respectful thing to do for Aleuria and her family.”

Light the Field’s ability to bring students and teachers together, helping a common cause, makes the night’s atmosphere different than any other.

“I think it was really cool when we were actually walking, just seeing how many people were participating; the amount of people actually walking around the field was amazing. We do this kind of like a tribute, [a] sign of respect to people with cancer,” Zalmanoff said.