Review: ‘Acreage’

A playful guitar rings in the first track. It slowly leads up to chords, then violen, and then Alexander Hudjohn’s punk voice, similar to a younger Chuck Ragan, completes this this glorious equation. “Acreage” provides a unique folk-punk experience, with Alexander Hudjohn not afraid to write fast and slow songs alike.

The first two tracks play well as folk songs, with “Billy” having an unforgettable chorus and “Georgia” being light enough for casual listeners to enjoy. Track three, “The Last of the Troubadours,” shows Hudjohn’s punk influence, with classic punk palm muting and his raspy voice yelling much louder now. The main riff to the song reminds me of a more folk Alkaline Trio. The next track, “Down So Low” brings the album back to a song kind of like “Georgia,” slow and lyric based and definitely easier for the casual listener to like.

My only real complaint comes on the fifth track, “Camels and Caffeine.” The production of the song feels different from the rest of the album. Instead of in-your-face folk-punk, it feels distanced and quiet, despite the song being fairly fast paced compared to the rest of the album. The song feels pushed into the background, like you’re hearing it out of someone’s headphones near by. It’s mostly only disappointing to me because the song sounds like a really great song, but the production of it just brings me out of it. It would work if I were listening to the Mountain Goats, but Hudjohn sounds much stronger on the rest of the tracks.

The last track brings punk back into the mix, stronger than ever. Though the track feels raw, it holds up as one of Hudjohn’s better songs. It reminds me of ’90s emo, which was probably one of my favorite eras of punk. The song could easily be an Alkaline Trio or Jawbreaker song.

Alexander Hudjohn’s new (and free) EP left me wanting more. Listening to the EP again and writing a review was all I could do to resist the urge to find his house, force a guitar into his hands, and tell him to write some more music.