Football team takes first game 7-0

Five minutes and 35 seconds are left in the fourth quarter. The Troy Trojans have the ball. The center snaps it and the quarterback struggles to catch the ball. He then rushes to hand the ball to the running back but was so taken off by the high snap that the hand off is sloppy and the ball hits the ground. The players scrambled for the ball in a massive pile until the ball disappears.

Soon they notice number 11, junior Brett Davis, sprinting with the ball. The Spartan coaches begin to yell and the audience begins to cheer for Davis until he crosses the goal line with a 65-yard return.

Davis scored the first, and winning, touchdown of 2010 for the Francis Howell Central Spartans.

“I couldn’t believe it had happened,” said Davis. “Troy was playing better than ever, and I still don’t know how it happened. I was just in the moment, and I wasn’t even supposed to be there.”

Davis is a second string outside linebacker who took the place of senior Bryan Metcalfe when he injured his calf in the first quarter.

“I am really thankful I have the support of my fantastic teammates,” said Davis.

The final score of the game was 7-0, Spartans. The boys’ next game will be this coming Friday, Sept. 3 at home against CBC.