Review: ‘Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys’

My Chemical Romance will release their newest album entitled “‘Danger Days: The True Lives of The Fabulous Killjoys“ on Nov. 22, 2010; quite frankly it is the best record I have ever heard. Forget their former (debatable)emo label, MCR is back and they have an extremely mature sound. I must also say that Gerard Way’s voice has improved quite a bit. There is no doubt in my mind that anyone can pick up this album, listen and love. Nothing I say in this review can bring justice to how phenomenal this record is, but I will try. If I had to describe it with one word it would be “dance.”

The record is clearly a rock opera; for those who do not know, a rock opera is when a story is told through out various pieces of music, such as “Quadrophenia” by The Who, or “American Idiot” by Green Day. The music videos thus far even support the idea of this claim. The record starts out with a small spoken intro which is also the intro to the “Na Na Na” music video. Soon after they released another video, which is a continuation of the former; this is also the video for the fourth track on the album entitled “Sing.” The story follows the members of the band in some sort of post-apocalyptic world in which they must protect this little boy. I can see many more videos coming from this album.

The last song on the album is called “Vampire Money.” This song is the best song I have ever heard in my life. It is so much fun and is even more catchy then the rest. This song alone is worth the price of the record. With a spoken intro intro transitioning to a 90’s straight-punk feel the song really brings itself together. The first time I listened it gave me goosebumps because it is just so wonderful!

Taking a step back, the third track on the album explains what takes place between “Na Na Na” and “Sing.” With a slower intro then transition into an extremely powerful progression of chords the song becomes very catchy. The lyrics are simple but also entertaining at the same time; I really enjoy some of the references to modern-day things in the songs, like this lyric from “Bulletproof Heart:”

“I gotta bulletproof heart. You gotta hollow point smile. We had our run away scarves, got a photograph dream on the getaway mile…This word is after me, after you,” from Bulletproof Heart.

The next song, “Planetary (GO!)” brings in a sort of techno feel, yet still keeps rock-and-roll involved during the chorus. I really enjoy such a combination. It really shows how MCR is exploring their sound possibilities and moving forward after their drummer, Bob Bryar, left the band.

Track six on the album is called “The Only Hope For Me is You,” which is clearly a song about love and self evaluation. Yet again, the sound is fantastic and upbeat.

“If that’s the best that I could be then I’d be another memory. Can I be the only hope for you? Because you’re the only hope for me. And if we can find where we belong, we’ll have to make it on our own,” from The Only Hope For Me is You.

“Party Poison” is the next track and I really do not have too much to say about it. It is very upbeat also, very fast, very catchy. The guitar riffs are simple, but somehow manage to sound extremely well done. This song just seems to put me in a good mood since it is just so catchy.

“Save Yourself, I’ll Hold Them Back,” can been seen as a sort of continuation of “The Only Hope For Me is You,” yet at the same time brings in new parts to the story such as the approaching battle. Again, it is also so catchy I cannot get it out of my head.

“Are you ready for a firefight? ‘Cause the devils got your number, right. We’re never leaving this place alive but if we sing these words we’ll never die,” from Save Yourself, I’ll Hold Them Back.

The next track “(S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W)” is actually pretty simple and slightly slow, it also contains references to love. It actually reminds me of a track of their first album called “Demolition Lovers,” yet it is so much more mature and well done.

Following that is “Summertime,” which is one of my favorite tracks. The song is also about love, which seems to be a prominent factor in the record. The song is beautiful and moving.

“Don’t walk away, cause if you stay, I would even wait all night. Well, or until my heart explodes, or until we find our way in the dark and out of harm. You can runaway with me, or you can runaway on your own. You can run away with me anytime you want,” from Summertime.

In “Destroya” the band goes back to their punk roots, but also adds a more modern sound. I was extremely impressed.

“You don’t believe in God. I don’t believe in luck. They don’t believe in us, but I believe in the enemy,” from Destroya.

The next song is very interesting. It reminds me of a track from the late 80’s or early 90’s and sounds immaculate. It is entitled “The Kids From Yesterday.” The song is slightly about rebellion and also about reflection.

Simply put, buy this album. No matter what age you are this is fantastic. You will be missing out if you do not purchase this. I expect this album to earn many awards in its future. Like I said before, it is the best cd I have ever heard.