Senior swimmers suit up for senior night

On Wednesday, Oct. 26, the boys swim team entered the Rec Plex ready to swim against the Zumwalt West and Vianney High schools for its senior night. According to senior Andrew Smith, there were no outstanding records made with the win, but it was an important night to the team’s seniors and they came out of the meet with a comfortable lead.

“I swam the 200 meter individual medley, 100 meter breaststroke and the 400 meter freestyle relay,” Smith said. “I didn’t break any personal bests, but I swam faster than I had been swimming for the past several meets.”

Every year during senior night, the seniors walk down the bulkhead of the pool and escort their parents with a rose. This year, seniors Ryan Macy, Grant Koehler and Smith tweaked this tradition by adding a personal touch to their wardrobe of choice.

“Macy, Grant, and I bought tuxpedos and bow ties to wear as we preceded down the bulkhead, while Kurt just wore his team jacket,” Smith said. “I also had on reflective aviators and a checkered bow tie while Macy sported cuffs and shoes.”

Excited with the win and the comical change of senior night tradition, teammates still felt a wave of emotion realizing this was to be their last year swimming.

“I’m going to miss it. I met plenty of people and made some good friends,” Smith said. “But I’m excited for the end and to see what the team’s work will show.”