Boys swim team takes fourteenth in State

On Saturday the boys swim team took fourteenth in state finishing with a total of 58 points. Sophomore Zachary Rogers swam in three events for finals, but only ended up placing in one event along with seniors Andrew Smith, Ryan Macy and sophomore Derek Mielke in the 200 yard medley relay finishing with a time of 1:40.48.

“We weren’t even supposed to be there,” Smith said. “We were ninth in prelims but with a team’s disqualification, we were able to get top eight at the end of preliminaries which gave us the chance to medal seventh. We were the underdogs.”

Both Smith and Rogers qualified for individual events excluding the 200 yard medley relay. Smith swam the 100 yard breaststroke taking 11th with a time of 1:01.31. Rogers swam the 100 and 200 yard freestyle relay finishing with times of 48:07 and 1:44.19. In both events, Rogers took ninth place and was less than a second away from placing eighth and receiving a medal.

“I was disappointed that I didn’t medal in my events,” Rogers said. “It was one of my go Sophomore Brendan Brause also qualified for state by previously breaking the dive GAC record. After making it to the top 20 divers, Brause was cut taking 17th place with a score of 214.90 points.

“Not making it further than the top 20 wasn’t a big deal to me,” Brause said. “I was already happy by breaking the GAC record and making it to state, I feel accomplished and I always have next year to improve.”

This meet not only was successful by breaking both relay records and placing higher in State than last year, but for seniors Smith and Macy, it was their last meet on the team.

“It’s kind of sad to know that that was my last meet,” Macy said. “I’ve been swimming since I was seven; it’s kind of emotional. I don’t have anything else to fall back on; this is my sport.”als but realistically I swam against a lot of fast people and I have next year to get even faster.”