The girls swim team prepares for its first meet

The girls swim team practices daily from 8-10p.m. at the Rec-Plex. Practice normally starts with 30 minutes of running and stretching followed by 90 minutes of swimming. More recent practices began with stretching and then three 500-meter freestyle swims followed by 16 laps, changing swim styles for every lap. For cool down, the team practices its dives and ends with a 300-meter swim. According to senior Sarah Eastman, this year, the team is strong.

“From what I saw at our practices, we have a stronger team with more members then previous years,” Eastman said. “We have a large amount of freshmen that joined this year and we plan to participate in more events that we weren’t able to in the past due to the lack of swimmers.”

As for upcoming events, the swim team has a meet on December seventh against Zumwalt West, a previous rival of the team.

“The girls swim team is going to beat West because we have a great team this year with the flood of freshman that joined; we even have three new divers and we plan on going to state,” Coach Erin Thurston said.