Imperfection isn’t a problem

Oh, I’m going to be so mad at myself for posting this blog, but it’s something that’s really itching at me, I guess you could say. Although I feel horrible for saying that, because all anybody ever talks about anymore is relationships. (I wonder how many people would lose interest after that word?). The song I chose to pick apart this week is “The Reason,” by Hoobastank (their band name is kind of obnoxious). The song is off of their 2003 album, The Reason. They have about four other albums, but this particular song keeps coming back to bite me in the behind. It was my ex and I’s song, years ago. And I listened to it the other day, only to find out it kind of matched my current relationship, which made me really upset. I had basically repeated the same mistakes. You’d think I would have learned by now.

“I’m not a perfect person

There’s many things I wish I didn’t do

But I continue learning

I never meant to do those things to you

And so I have to say before I go

That I just want you to know…”

This part of the song is basically, to me, saying hey, I’m not perfect but I’m trying, and I’m sorry for everything I’ve done to hurt you during the year we’ve been together. And that’s very true, but at the same time I should have been trying harder than I was to make everything work. However, you can’t sit there and dwell on your past. So right now, we’re just trying to patch ourselves up, and I’ll “continue learning” in order to function in the relationship properly. It takes two.

I’ve found a reason for me

To change who I used to be

A reason to start over new

and the reason is you.”

This part is one that I don’t want anyone to get all confused over. He’s not “the reason” I live and breathe and all that gushy bull crap. What this means to me, is he’s encouraged me an awful lot to help make my life better for myself. He helped me pick myself up and stop making myself so miserable. “Pain is inevitable, but misery is optional.