Big lead allows swim coach to change up swimmers’ events

The girls swim team had meets on Tuesday, Jan. 17, and Wednesday, Jan. 18, although this did not affect their outcome negatively. On Tuesday, the team beat Saint Dominic by over 100 points, and on Wednesday they beat Hazelwood Central 126-48. This huge difference in points allowed Coach Erin Thurston to let the swimmers try different events than usual, as well as let more girls swim.

“I was happy because I was able to give some girls who don’t get to swim a lot a spot in the lineup and test the usual swimmers with new events,” said Coach Thurston.

Sophomore Hayley Lechner swam the 100-meter freestyle in Wednesday’s meet, which she doesn’t usually swim.

“I’ve only swam the 100-meter freestyle one other time this season,” said Lechner. “[The team] did really well, since we took first in the majority of the events.”

A few of these wins include freshman Paige Keane, who won diving; freshmen Danielle Cox in the 50-meter and Serena Jimenez in the 200-meter freestyles; and juniors Alison Strickler in the 100-meter freestyle; Natalie Kinzer in the 100-meter breaststroke; and Emily Ortinau in the 500-meter freestyle. In addition to these, the team also won all three relays in the meet.

“We all support and encourage everyone on the team, and we all cheer for each other,” said Lechner.