Boys swim with strong strokes

According to Head Coach Andrew Morgan, the varsity boys swim team had a tough past week but were able to pull it together when it counted this weekend. Due to the Labor Day holiday, the team was only able to practice at the Rec-Plex two times before its meet against Chaminade on Thursday, Sept. 9.

“Even though the meet was a loss, we still had great performances from everyone,” said Coach Morgan.

Several new state cuts and school records were made at the meet, including freshman Zach Rogers in the 500-meter freestyle and senior Jeremy Cabu in the 100-meter backstroke.

On Saturday, the team swam in the Ozark Invitational, a really good chance for the boys to swim against a lot of fast teams from all over the state, according to Coach Morgan.

“I was extremely impressed with their performances at that tournament,” Coach Morgan said. “It’s easy to get intimidated, but everyone stepped up to the competition, and we walked away with numerous season best times, another state meet relay qualification (400 freestyle) and a sixth place overall finish out of 18 teams.”

Last year at this same meet, the team took 19th out of 19 teams.

Coming off their success in Springfield, the team is now gearing up for Howell Tri Meet tomorrow at 8:30 p.m. Coach Morgan sees the meet as a chance for his swimmers to face some good competition from district in many events.