Swimmers perform well in Tri-Meet

On Wednesday, Sept. 15, the varsity boys swam in a competitive meet against sister schools Howell and Howell North. According to Head Coach Andrew Morgan, the Tri-Meet was a huge success.

“There was a lot of positive energy behind the races at this meet,” said Coach Morgan. “Even though we didn’t win every event, most all of the races were close and everyone got fired up.”

At the end of the day, the Spartans scored 14 points in front of Howell and 25 points in front of Howell North, taking first in all three relay events. Senior Jeremy Cabu, junior Ryan Macy and freshman Derek Mielke also took first place in their individual events, and junior Andrew Smith took a close second place finish in the 100-meter breaststroke, qualifying for state with his time.

Coach Morgan says the team is now starting to shift its focus in practices.

“Our next big meet won’t be until the Zumwalt North Invite on Oct. 2, so we are starting to focus a lot more on mechanics in practice rather than preparing for big meets,” Coach Morgan said. “The Invite is generally a good way to see what all the competition will look like at the GAC conference meet, so we are making sure to be ready for that.”