Swim team wins FZN meet

Saturday, Oct. 2, the boys swim team took first place over 11 area schools at the Fort Zumwalt North Invitational. Coach Andrew Morgan was also excited to see the 400-meter freestyle relay break a nine-year-old school record in the event by more than two seconds, winning it at the meet. The relay team was made up of freshmen Zach Rogers and Derek Mielke, junior Ryan Macy, and senior Jeremy Cabu.

Also taking first place at the meet was the 200 Medley Relay. Junior Drew Smith took second place in the 100-meter breaststroke, and junior Ryan Macy took second place in the 100-meter butterfly as well. The team took first place overall with a score of 419, 66 points ahead of second place CBC.

Over fall break, most of the team members got in a solid week of practice, only competing in one dual meet at Hazelwood Central which the Spartans won 107-99.

“The team was successful overall, but the swims were just average,” Coach Morgan said. “The pool was really hot, and most of them were pretty broken down from practices. At this point in the season, I am never expecting best times.”

The team is now looking ahead to the conference meet, which will take place on Nov. 2.

“Consistency is great sign as we approach the end of the season,” Coach Morgan said. “If they can hold on to their focus for a few more weeks, it’s going to be really exciting to see them perform as we start moving towards the shave and taper stage of the season.”