Homecoming plans begin to take shape

StuCo starts planning the biggest events for the upcoming school year

Kayla Schoenig

Mrs. Vicki Pohlman and the student council officers take the Ice Bucket Challenge after school on August 22nd. They donated $1,000 on behalf of Student Council

Michayla Pordea, Staff Reporter

As the new school year starts, Student Council is already in full action. Within the first few days of school, student council members have already been attending meetings, planning events, and getting to know their officers and fellow members.

“We had a field trip at the zoo for team building activities,” said junior Beth Weirich. “We are trying to focus on working together as a team and be more active this year”

With homecoming right around the corner, StuCo members are brainstorming ideas and working together to pull off their biggest event of the year. This year’s homecoming is earlier than most years, giving StuCo even less time to plan. Homecoming nominations will be announced at the beginning of September, along with the theme and the spirit days.

Homecoming isn’t the only event StuCo focuses on though. They will be planning another blood drive, which was a big success last year, as well as Mr. FHC and many more familiar events.

Vice President Caroline Green, a senior, is excited to be working with the other officers this year.

“We work very well together and I think we are going to get a lot accomplished this year and hopefully do a lot of great things for our school and get others involved too,” Green said.

Amidst the busy first weeks, StuCo officers found time to come together and make a difference by donating to the ALS research foundation and completing the ice bucket challenge.

“Ms. [Stacey] Dennigman, one of the sponsors, decided to nominate Mrs. Pohlman and the officers. After our general meeting on Thursday we filled a bunch of buckets and went down by the track and dumped them on ourselves. We are donating $1,000 from StuCo” said senior Dominique Hyde.