Becoming a part of the ‘Family’

Auditions set spring musical “The Addams Family” in motion for April show

Junior+Katrina+Krieg%2C+seen+here+in+Noises+Off%2C+will+play+Grandma+Addams+in+The+Spotlight+Players+production+of+The+Addams+Family+April+24-25.+As+a+musical%2C+this+production+will+incorporate+many+more+students+and+teachers+into+the+production+of+the+show.+

Zach Grau

Junior Katrina Krieg, seen here in “Noises Off,” will play Grandma Addams in The Spotlight Players production of “The Addams Family” April 24-25. As a musical, this production will incorporate many more students and teachers into the production of the show.

Auditions for the musical took place the week of Feb. 2 in the choir room, allowing students to sing, dance, and act for a spot onstage in the spring.

The musical this year will be “The Addams Family,” a dark, but comedic show. The cast has already begun rehearsing for its performance April 24-25. Auditions, consisting of a minute-long monologue and excerpt from a song, took place Feb. 2-5. The cast list was posted on Friday, Feb. 6.

For freshman Carlin Reed-Bippen, a member of the chorus of the female ancestors of the Addams, high school auditions are an entirely new experience, despite the many productions she has done with other organizations.

“I didn’t know anyone there except my sister,” Reed-Bippen said. “Most places I’ll know people, so it’s a different environment. It’s more nerve-wracking.”

Director Mrs. Cori Nelson found narrowing down the many auditioners into a single cast was a very arduous process, especially since this is her first time casting a musical for a high school.

“There is too much talent and so few parts,” Nelson said. “It (casting) is just a puzzle and figuring out how it fits.”

Junior Tristan Ratterman, who will play Gomez, believes Nelson’s casting is a good mix of varying actors, which is influential in a great show.

“There were some surprises (in the casting), I will say that, but I think that’s the exciting thing about it,” Ratterman said. “You never know what talent’s gonna come from where, what people are gonna be able to do, and somehow we always manage to pull it all together by show night.”

Katrina Krieg, a junior who will play the role of Grandma Addams, said she was ecstatic to get a role in which she could portray a more ridiculous character, especially after enjoying her comedic lead role in the fall play “Noises Off.”

“My grandma character is really weird, but I love it because I just can’t wait to hear people laugh,” Krieg said.

Mrs. Nelson believes this will be a great musical that will show the good sides of a more offbeat family.

“People better get their tickets early, because I know it’s gonna sell out,” Mrs. Nelson said.