Boys basketball strives for strong finish

The varsity boys basketball team was not expecting their current 7 and 15 record. The team entered the season with talent in multiple phases; however, according to junior Jeff Desir, the adversity they faced prevented the team from reaching its true potential.

“This was not the season we wanted. Overcoming our injuries took a lot of time,” said Desir.

The big injury blows occurred in a 53-46 loss against rival Howell. In the third quarter, the Spartans lost Ryan Howard and Luke McDonald, both juniors.

The team managed to adjust rather quickly in two consecutive wins, but returned to its losing ways shortly thereafter.

Only three games remain in the regular season before the Spartans head to districts. According to Desir, the mission is clear.

“We need to win districts,” Desir said. “It’ll help the season actually be decent.”

Before the team heads off to districts, it must battle in three more contests. They will play Fort Zumwalt West and Parkway North before finishing the season against rival Howell North.