Playing for a cause

This past Friday, both the boys and girls basketball teams participated at a new annual event known as Fanfest, an event spearheaded by activities director Mr. Scott Harris. The event was set up to raise fund for pancreatic cancer awareness, which is one of the least funded cancers, receiving only four percent of all cancer funds.

The event featured scrimmages with the basketball teams of all levels. They also participated in events such as the slam dunk contest, three-point contest, and featured halftime performances from the various dance teams at FHC. Junior Heriberto Wyatt said that Fanfest was good for him and the team as a whole.

‘It was a pretty fun experience,” Wyatt said. “I enjoyed it because I was able to get more experience being on the court with my teammates, and it was for a worthy cause.”

Wyatt was one of the participants in the dunk contest, which was won by senior Derrick Puni. Puni, who has a cast on one of his hands, still put on a show that had the crowd on their feet.

“I was excited that I won the slam dunk contest,” Puni said. “The judging was not biased at all.”

Fanfest brought the teams and the school who they play for together because it is for a good cause, such as donating to PanCan research. Wyatt also believes that a bigger team bond was created because of the event.

“I could tell the team was bonding very well during Fanfest, because even when something went wrong, we would still share a laugh and enjoy each moment together on the court,” Wyatt said. “It was a good way to bond with each other.”

Admission to Fanfest cost $1, and all the funds raised were donated to PanCan, an organization which tries to find a cure and improved treatment for pancreatic cancer. Overall, the event raised well more than $500.