Freshman boys basketball heads to tournament championship

After two hours and five overtime periods, the freshman boys basketball team defeated the Chaminade Red Devils 45-44 on Tuesday. The team went on to defeat DeSmet the next day to put them into the championship game of the St. Charles West tournament Friday.

The Spartans were down for most of the game, according to freshman Cameron Lundberg, but as they gained momentum towards the end of the game, the team found hope in themselves.

“The fact that we got to four overtimes [kept us motivated] and we knew we could get one more,” said Lundberg. “We shut down their scoring and gave the right people the ball.”

This prolonged victory against Chaminade brought encouragement for the team, as they had a game the next night and hoped to make it to the championship game.

“It was very rewarding and gave us motivation to win the tournament. It was a very fun ride home,” Lundberg said. “We played a heck of a lot better the next day and we trust each other a lot more because of the game.”

The freshman boys team will play again tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at St. Charles West against CBC in the final game of the tournament.