Home court disadvantage

The boys basketball team fell to Fort Zumwalt East Monday night 46-41 in their home opener, their second consecutive loss. Their record now stands at 1-3. It was a low scoring contest for both teams, as the Spartans only managed seven points the entire first quarter. In the second quarter, the strong Spartan defense only allowed six points. At halftime, they were down 23-17.

Both teams played a solid defensive third quarter, with neither team scoring over ten points in the quarter. By the end of the game, Zumwalt East had emerged victorious.

Last night did not go much better for the Spartans, as they lost their second consecutive home game, this time to Parkway Central by the score of 52-39. Missed shots, turnovers, and failed opportunities cost the Spartans a chance to notch their second win of the season.

Junior Jordan Scott believed the team played poorly on both sides of the ball.

“Offensively and defensively, we struggled badly,” Scott said. According to Scott, the team struggled on holding onto the ball and not allowing turnovers.

This Friday, they face Howell, and Scott knows there’s work to be done if the team wants to gain a key rivalry victory.

“We need to be patient on offense and defense,” Scott said. “We have to do whatever it takes to get our team together to beat Howell on Friday.”