To Howell and back

The Spartans went into Howell with only one goal on their minds: knocking off their rival. That’s exactly what happened. The boys basketball team defeated the Vikings 88-77 in front of a packed gymnasium. Senior Ryan Howard led the team with 24 points, while going 6-for-11 on 3-pointers.

Senior Derrick Puni, in his first game since injuring his right hand, made some key blocks for his team throughout the game, blocking Howell’s Nic Perkins four times. It was a close game up until the third quarter, when momentum began shifting to the Spartan’s side, and they never looked back. Senior Jeff Desir said the feeling of beating Howell was heartwarming.

“It was the greatest feeling in the world,” Desir said. “Howell finally got what they deserved.”

The victory was well earned for the Spartans, as they fought off a late Howell surge to end the game with a win that had the Spartan faithful on their feet.

“Celebrating on your rivals court is the best feeling possible, and all Howell was able to do is watch,” Desir said.

Despite a more recent loss to Rockwood Summit, the victory against Howell still is felt throughout the school. After tough losses in the games prior to Howell, the team had many focal points to improve on.

“Offense was the key for us,” Desir said. “We worked hard and I loved every second of it.”

After the game, the students in the FHC crowd rushed the court and celebrated with their triumphant basketball team, as the Howell crowd stood in awe and shock.

Their next game is tonight at 7. It is also “Toys for Tots” in which toys donated will be given to kids in need.