Taking down the Trojans

The Spartans took the mat against the Trojans from Troy Buchanan on Wednesday. Although they came out victorious, senior Mike Taylor says it was a tough match.

“We won, but there were some tough losses individually and our heavyweight, (Ryan) Motts got a concussion,” Taylor said.

“All I remember was taking him down, then I blacked out,” said junior Ryan Motts.

His teammates describe it identically.

“He had a really good take down, but fell to his head,” said Taylor.

Motts is unsure if he will get to wrestle for the remainder of this season, but he will in attendance at the rest of the tournaments to cheer on his teammates.

“We’re really close this year,” said Motts.

For now, his doctor gave him the instruction to take it easy. Whether or not he returns to the mat this season is unsure, but Motts plans on returning for the next season.

“I like it too much to quit now,” said Motts.

Motts is hoping to return to wrestling this year, but knows that it’s unlikely because this is his second concussion, which he received earlier this year.

“I got my first one playing football” said Motts.

Spartan nation has two opportunities to see the Spartan wrestling team at home this week. Wednesday they will be taking on the Knights from North, and Saturday the Spartans will be hosting their annual tournament.