A light in the darkness

As the girls basketball team enters the second half of their season, they continue to struggle from the loss of senior Kristen Warncke. The team has been recovering and growing as they begin to work together and incorporate younger players on the court.

Senior Grace Wade explains that the season has been a process and the team is working out their errors as districts approach.

“We’ve had our ups and downs. It’s tough losing Kristen, but I think we are working it out. We have a lot of hard workers and we will get there by the end,” Wade said. “The younger players, that haven’t had a lot of experience, are getting out their nerves and are finally learning to adjust to the speed of the game.”

The team missed going to the state semifinals last year by just six points and are hoping to win the state title this season.

“We can go far. We definitely have the potential to win districts and go as far if not farther if we play to our potential. We need to keep working on what we need to work on and we will get there,” Wade said.

The girls beat Lafayette High School on Tuesday by just one point, snapping a five game losing streak. This brought encouragement for the team and promised the girls hope for the rest of the season, according to sophomore Haley Allen.

“[The win] was important and gave us a lot of momentum and confidence for districts coming up,” Allen said. “[Coach] Ricker said they were better than any team in our district, so this gives us the confidence we can win districts.”

The team will challenge the Timberwolves at Timberland High School for the second time this season tomorrow at 7 p.m., hoping to gain their eighth victory of the year.