A Generous and Inspiring Donation

How a $21,000 donation is a step in the right direction for student lunch debt.
Scott+Otey+snaps+a+picture+of+the+%2421%2C000+check+he+donated+to+alleviate+student+lunch+debt.+
Scott Otey
Scott Otey snaps a picture of the $21,000 check he donated to alleviate student lunch debt.

On August 22nd, the Francis Howell School district received an enthralling $21,000 donation put-towards student lunch debt from Scott Otey, a parent in the district.

Otey first got the idea due to seeing a teenager post about the student lunch debts, and also heard the topic being discussed on a podcast, so he knew he needed to dig deeper. After figuring out a number he wanted to hit, he made some social media posts and started receiving donations throughout the community. 

“It only took me about 4-5 days to come up with all the money, and actually had to stop donations so I could make sure I put in an adequate amount. It’s important because having money to eat is an adult problem, not a kids problem,” Otey said. 

“Kids shouldn’t have to worry about the stresses on finances and such.

It’s hard to think when you’re hungry and embarrassed when you have to eat the school lunch provided. I didn’t want any kid to have to go through that,” Otey said.

Worrying about lunch debt was not something Otey wanted any teenagers to have to face, so he started raising money with other local parents in the district. His generous donation provided an amazing example to people all over, and proves that if you have a goal behind a great cause, you can achieve it.