Branching Out With Watercolors

Ms. Runge shows her watercolor palette to the group.

Out of the many mediums of painting, Ashley Runge’s Intro to Art class has begun experimenting with watercolors, a tricky medium to master. Ms. Runge demonstrated the different techniques of watercolor painting to her class on September 19th, stating that the most important aspect to a great watercolor composition is “water control.” The students are instructed to draw three different boxes for each technique and to give more opportunity to practice water control.

“If you have too much water,” Runge said, “you’re not going to be able to control [the colors], but if you have no water, you’re not going to be able to move the colors.” 

Runge’s main goal for her art students is to understand how water will impact their composition and how technique is paramount, especially when working with watercolors.

Students practice painting a watercolor wash, Sept. 19. (Milo Nichols)
Paper towel is used to pick up excess water on the paper. (Milo Nichols)
Students work inside their sketchbooks, Sept. 19. (Milo Nichols)
Junior Angelina Slivinski and sophomore Ruth Rajan work on their assignment, Sept. 19. (Milo Nichols)
Sophomore Natalie Smith paints a rose, Sept. 19. (Milo Nichols)
Ms. Runge explains the water to color ratio of each technique in room 244, Sept. 19. (Milo Nichols)
Ms. Runge shows her watercolor palette to the group in room 244, Sept. 19. (Milo Nichols)
Students gather around Ms. Runge as she demonstrates watercolor techniques, Sept. 19. (Milo Nichols)
Ms. Runge demonstrates a watercolor wash, Sept. 19. (Milo Nichols)
Students begin wetting their paint brushes, Sept. 19. (Milo Nichols)