Fierce Competition

The freshman volleyball team left the crowd in awe with their performance on Oct. 12th; from beginning to finish, the players strived for a win within a total of three sets. Although they lost their first set, they redeemed themselves with a triumphant win in the second set. 

“We were nervous and a little tired,” Natalie Hirth, the defense specialist on the volleyball team, said. “We were not loose; playing, like, fun volleyball. Towards the second [set] we played the game and got [more] involved.” 

Players further away from the net need to have a balance of offensive and defensive play, and trust within the other players is key in a heated match like this. Although Timberland took the win, there’s no doubt about the energy and effort the freshman team put forth.

Freshman Jordan Strange prepares to block the ball during the first set. (Milo Nichols)
Freshman Aspen Relerford begins to serve the ball high into the air.
(Milo Nichols)
Tensions rise as freshman Natalie Hirth stands in a defensive position with her eyes on the ball.
(Milo Nichols)
Freshman Natalie Hirth slams ground in frustration as the Timberland players earn a point. The ball just barely made it over the net. (Milo Nichols)
Timberland players jump to block the incoming ball. (Milo Nichols)
Freshman Emma Fry focuses as the opposing team serves the ball. (Milo Nichols)
Freshman Quinn Grabowski celebrates the team earning a point near the end of the first set. (Milo Nichols)
Freshman Liliana Dorenkamp ducks low to the ground to return the ball over the net. (Milo Nichols)
Liliana DorenKamp and Emma Fry discuss strategies during a brief break between sets. (Milo Nichols)
Timberland players and freshman Quinn Grabowski rush towards the net, their eyes focused on the ball.
(Milo Nichols)