Basketball team loses to Howell to close season

The varsity basketball team lost in the district semifinal game against arch rival Francis Howell 46-43 Wednesday night at home after two straight victories. The team finished the season with a 10-17 record.

Previously the team had defeated the Zumwalt South Bulldogs 56-49 and the Zumwalt North Panthers 52-23 in its first game at districts.

Wednesday, the Spartans battled out to a halftime lead of 19-13 before giving up the lead in the fourth quarter en route to a three-point loss to the Vikings. The team had rallied from nine down late in the fourth to get within two points of the Vikings. With momentum on the side of the Spartans, Terrance Pettigrew was called with a charge. The charge ended the Spartans comeback drive. Senior forward Brian Midden lead all scorers with 13 pts.

“The charge called on Terrance [Pettigrew] late in the game changed the tone of the game,” said sophomore forward Josh Wade. The call gave the momentum back to the Vikings and the Spartans were forced to foul to cut back into the lead.