Nanney wins district title

As the Spartan boys tennis team celebrated in the midst of its first ever qualification for regionals, freshman phenom Sean Nanney celebrated a district championship, something the boys tennis program had never seen in its 13 year existence.

A season that had been more successful than any other in school history for the boys tennis team, finishing with an 11-2 record, was extended this Monday with their qualification for the regional tournament.

Nanney, and the team had been training all year for what came down to a make or break tournament for the season, and they prevailed. Nanney brought home the first district title in school history in a three-set match. After he dropped the first set by a score of 6-3, Nanney had to buckle down and refocus.

“I knew I still had a chance if I could get back on track,” said Nanney. “I’m confident with the way I play, when I am playing at the top of my game.”

Buckle down is exactly what Nanney did, storming back with a win in the next set 6-3 and an overwhelming victory in the final set 6-0, winning himself and the Spartans a district championship. According to Nanney, he was overcome with joy, but not for himself, for the team.

“I wasn’t as excited about the fact that I won the district championship, as I was for the fact that I helped get the team to regionals,” said Nanney. “It was huge for me as a teammate, and huge for the team as a whole.”

The regional tournament will begin Monday on our home courts in a rival match against Francis Howell.

During the regualr season, one of the boys only two losses came at the hands of the Vikings, but they look to right the ship on Monday.