Basketball team finishes 2nd in Christmas tournament

The varsity boys basketball team enters GAC play with a record of 8-5, including a second place finish in a tournament in Rolla over Christmas Break. The team defeated defending champion, Rolla High School before losing to Waynesville High School in the championship game.

“As the season has progressed, we’re getting better at working together on the floor,” said senior guard Andrew Tedder.

Snow early in the week led to fears about the possibility of not playing in a tournament held at Washington High School due to snow days in both districts. However, the tournament still proceeded as planned. The team lost to Washington High School on Wednesday night, but won a game Thursday night 64-52 against Bayless High School to put the team in the consolation game against St. Charles High School.

Sophomore Derick Puni, who led the team in scoring against Bayless with 14 points, does not envision much change in the team’s preparation against St. Charles.

“We will see at practice today if the coaches want to change anything,” said Puni.

The team lost the consolation game to St. Charles 71-62 on Saturday night to place 4th in the tournament. The team’s next game will be Wednesday at Mehlville High School.