Swimmers make progress

Before Christmas break, the girls swim team hit the water. On Dec. 13, 2010 the girls had a meet with Timberland and won. Sophomore Alison Strickler was one-tenth of a second from beating the school record in the 50-meter freestyle.

“She has not done it yet, but we are hoping she will get it soon,” said Coach Erin Thurston.

Sophomore Natalie Kinzer got first place in the 2IM Individual Medley.

On Dec. 16, 2010, the team was supposed to have a meet with Fort Zumwalt South, but it was canceled, to be rescheduled soon. On Dec. 17, 2010, the team competed in the Fort Zumwalt North relays. Coach Thurston said the meet was basically for fun, with no times being recorded, however, a chance for improvement. Sophomore Hannah Johnson, sophomore Natalie Kinzer, senior Anna Ferris and senior Lisa Lander all got first place in all three relays, and sophomore Emily Ortinau got first in the 500-meter freestyle.

“I believe the new swimmers are getting better and better and more competitive everyday,” said Coach Thurston.

On Dec. 20, the last match before break, the girls swam against Fort Zumwalt North, and beat them by two points.

After break, the girls swam against Duschene on Jan. 4 and won.

“Overall I think the seasons going well. We are beating all the teams I expected to beat,” said Coach Thurston.