Spartans defeat Vikings for first time since 2007

After failing in its last six attempts, the varsity boys basketball team finally found itself a win against its arch-rival Francis Howell. The team overcame a slow start to defeat the Vikings 75-65 in the Spartan’s first win over Howell since 2007.

The team was led by five players scoring in double-figures, including 21 points by senior forward Andrew Tedder. The team recovered after being down early to the Vikings by slowing the pace of the game.

“Before the game we discussed how both teams would go on runs,” said junior point guard Ryan Miller. “When [Howell] went on a run we just needed to slow the game down and that’s what we did.”

The team fought back to take a 33-30 lead going into halftime and that lead would stick with the Spartans for the rest of the game.

“We played as team, and we didn’t let up and finally put a complete game together,” said Miller, who scored 13 points in the victory.

The 10-point margin of victory was the largest between the two teams in years. The last three match ups had a combined margin of victory of seven points for Howell. The emotional victory over its arch-rivals brings greater confidence to Miller and the team.

“It’s a great feeling to defeat [Howell],” said Miller. “It gives us high expectations for the rest of the season because if we play every game like that we will win a lot of games.”

The team will have four days to savor its win over Howell before they travel to St. Charles West on Tuesday to play the Warriors at 7:30 p.m.