Saturday’s game a team, individual victory

The varsity hockey boys played two games over the weekend, falling to Chaminade and defeating Timberland.

The game Friday night against Chaminade ended in a 4-1 defeat, with forward junior Chase Rey scoring the only goal out of the 17 shots taken on Chaminade’s goaltender. Many of the team’s players were out of town or on the bench with injuries, according to Head Coach Tom Mueller

“Our Friday night game against Chaminade was a hard fought game,” said Coach Mueller. “The players remaining did a great job keeping it tied through two periods. Chaminade scored a power play goal early in the third, and we just could not come back from that.”

Saturday night’s game was a completely different story. The team defeated Timberland with a steep score of 8-1.

“Saturday’s game was a complete turn around,” said Coach Mueller. “We had some players return to the line up and were only missing Kyle Novak and Jalen Krogman with injuries. It was senior night, and we had a nice crowd in the stands.”

The contribution of several individuals on the team led to this victory, according to Coach Mueller. Of the eight goals scored, seven of them were all from different players. Rey had two goals, forward senior Andy Ruhlman had three assists and junior forward Louis Braun scored his first varsity goal in two years.

“It was a total team effort both offensively and defensively,” said Coach Mueller. “It was a game where everyone made a contribution.”

The team has one more division game at 7:45 p.m this Friday against Francis Howell High at the St. Peters Rec-Plex. It will be the last game before the playoffs.

“If we have everyone back and can play to our potential, we would be a tough team to beat,” said Coach Mueller.