Hockey team moves on to semifinals

The Spartan hockey team continues to rule the rink at the Challenge Cup playoffs with a second win over Seckman on Feb. 7 with a score of 6-2.

“Seckman was a strong team, but they could not match our team speed,” said Head Coach Tom Mueller. “Our skilled players really set the tone with great team play.”

After the first round of playoffs, the hockey team moved on to the second round, pulling out two strong victories over MICDS with scores of 9-3 and 8-0.

“In the second game six different players scored goals, and despite the one sided score, our goaltender Zach Grabowski came up big and worked hard to get the shut out,” said Coach Mueller.

The next game the team will play is on Feb. 24 at 6:30 p.m. at the Hardee’s Ice Plex, but the opponent will remain unknown until after tonight’s game between SLUH and Westminster. Coach Mueller believes SLUH will pull out another win to move on to the semifinals with the Spartans.

“If [our] team continues to play at this high level we will have an excellent chance at the state title,” said Coach Mueller.