Baseball overcomes two losses

Following a successful start in which the team won four of its first five games, the varsity baseball team lost two straight, including a 1-5 defeat at the hands of Vianney on Friday.

“Friday we did not play as well as we could have played,” Coach Ray Howard said. “Saturday was more like we expected to play this season.”

The team’s Saturday was highlighted by two victories against Glenbrook North, a team that defeated the Spartans earlier in the week, and Fort Zumwalt West. Coach Howard believes the quick turn around was essential for the team to bounce back from two straight losses.

“You never like to sit on a loss, so we were glad we go right back at it on Saturday,” Coach Howard said.

One of the reason for the team’s victory on Saturday was the offense, which was lacking in the team’s previous game against Vianney.

“Our hitting was off. We didn’t take what the pitcher gave us,” Coach Howard said. “[On Saturday] we used the whole field offensively and put more pressure on the opposing team.”

The team will be back in action Tuesday night as it takes on Warrenton. Coach Howard hinted at some possible changes as far as pitching is concerned.

“[We] might throw some pitchers in who have not thrown many innings,” Coach Howard. “Give them an opportunity to pitch some innings.”