Baseball explodes on offense

The varsity baseball team picked up two major victories as the team defeated Francis Howell North and Union by the scores of 10-3 and 14-0, respectively.

“Right now we’re swinging the bats well as a team,” Coach Ray Howard said. “And that’s always our goal.”

Two major contributors on offense have been senior Zack Isham and junior Ryan Howard. Howard had three runs batted in in the game against Howell North on Wednesday. Senior Josh Wade has also been a big help in the lead-off position.

While the team has been anchored by its typical starters, Coach Howard hopes to incorporate some underclassmen in the final games of the season.

“We’re trying to get [underclassmen] in as much as we can,” Coach Howard. “It’s important for them to get innings so they can be ready for next year.”

The remaining three games for the Spartans are not easy ones, as their opponents, Ladue, Pattonville and Hazelwood West, boast a combined record of 42-19, according to stltoday.com. Coach Howard feels this will ultimately help the team.

“We’re playing good teams,” Coach Howard said. “Coach Harris always tries to give us a good schedule and give us good teams so we can be ready for the playoffs.”