Playoff baseball approaches

With only one game left in the regular season, the Spartans prepare for its first district playoff game on Saturday. The Spartans, now ranked number one in St. Louis, will take on Hazelwood Central Wednesday night before heading to St. Charles West for districts on Saturday.

The team’s difficult schedule as of late has allowed the team to prepare for the playoffs, according to Coach Ray Howard.

“We are playing some good teams so I think that is going to help prepare us for districts,” Coach Howard said. “We are facing some good pitching as well.”

The team defeated St. Dominic, a team with a record of 12-7, Tuesday night. The Spartans have now won their last four games, which is exactly what Coach Howard likes to see.

“How the playoffs are set up, whoever gets hot gets on a roll,” Coach Howard. “It’s not who the best team is, it’s whoever is the best team at the end of the season is.”

Despite the winning streak at the conclusion of the season, Coach Howard feels it is still important for the team to continue its high level of play and for other players to step up their play.

“I hope they all [the players] step up at the same time,” Coach Howard said. “It’s not always your top players that get you the wins in the playoffs.”

It is also important for the team to continue to play with confidence, but not get too cocky.

“You want to have confidence, but if you don’t play well and do what you have to do, you will lose,” Coach Howard said. “We need to play with a little bit of confidence and a lot of urgency.”